Saturday 27 March 2010

I must be more patient....

Last week I added a good metre or so of silk to this jar of eucalyptus dye along with a few onion skins squashed in between. The silk had previously been experimented with a 'compost dye' technique where the fibre is wetted then dye stuffs (i.e. leaves, petals, vegetable skins etc) are folded in with the fabric and left in a tied plastic bag to do as they please.
Unfortunately, I was very inpatient and opened it only after a week or so and therefore not a lot had happened! So, now I know I must be more patient!

The silk has now been soaking for 7 days sitting on a sunny window sill which can be called 'Solar Dying' but I don't think it has been warm or sunny enough. I am thinking of releasing it from the jar to heat in a pan for an hour then straining the liquid and returning the fabric to the jar with some addition findings....


I will post the results in a week or two...depending on how long i can wait!

3 comments:

  1. well they say patience is a virtue - I guess I'm not too virtuous!
    I hope you like how it comes out,
    pam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is not my strong point either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never knew you could dye fabric that way. I think I woulda been peeking too!

    http://designkitty.net

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails